Since I have learned to bake these classic buns at the bread baking course, they have become a favorite of mine. Another favorite bun type of mine are kløben buns, they have been favorite since my childhood, so therefore I decided to twist the classic bun into kløbens :-)
These buns are great served with a cup of coffee/tea, and you could consider to make your own version of Christmas tea.
Christmas buns kløben style: - 16-20 buns
- 650 g wheat flour
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g fat (plain vegetable oil or butter) - personally I prefer butter
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 50 g egg - or just use 1 egg
- 8 g salt
- 250 g water
- 50 g raisins
- 50 g sucat
- 50 g orange peel
- 50 g dried cranberries
- Weigh all the ingredients (not the dried fruits) directly into the mixing bowl of the stand alone mixer. Keep salt & sugar away from the yeast.
- Place the bowl on the stand-alone mixer.
- Start knead the dough at speed 1 for 8 minutes.
- Add in the dried fruits.
- Afterwards increase the speed to 4, knead for 2 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough. If it is not OK, when knead it at speed 4 for another 2 minutes. Again check the consistency. If needed, knead again for 1 minute and when check consistency of the dough.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place it on the kitchen table sprinkled with flour.
- Let the entire dough raise for approx 20 minutes under a damp cloth.
- When you evaluate, that the dough has raise enough, divide the dough into smaller pieces with a weight of 60-70 g each.
- Shape the dough pieces into bun shapes. Place the bun pieces on the baking tray covered with baking parchment.
- Let the bun raise for second time for approx 40 minutes under a tea towel.
- Heat up the oven to 200'C.
- Bake the bun at 200'C for 10-15 minutes.
- Cold down the buns, before serving them with a nice cup of tea/coffee.