As I still had some rhubarb stems left from my visit to the garden in Horsens, I decided to make the very last portion of rhubarb cordial of 2013 !!!! This time I used another old recipe clipping from a Danish magazine, where I again have no idea of the original source.
Have a look at the picture of this rhubarb cordial, is it not an amazing dark red colour it is having ? Wauuw I am crazy with this red colour, which I know my cousin will be as well.
Classic rhubarb cordial:
- 500 g rinsed rhubarb - chopped in to smaller chunks (fresh or frozen)
- 500 g water
- 600 g sugar
- Cut the rhubarb into pieces of 2 cm.
- Remove the cooking pot and place it away from the stove, let it rest for 1 hour
- Remove the rhubarb pieces from the cordial part using a sieve.
- Pour the rhubarb cordial into bottles, which have been standing with boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
- Store the rhubarb cordial in the refrigerator or freeze, as it no anti-microbial have been added.
- The rhubarb pieces in the sieve can be turned into a rhubarb compote, which I decided to do. I add sugar until desired sweetness level and juice of ½ lemon. Stir everything well together and place the rhubarb compote in the freezer for later use in desserts.