August 04, 2019

White currant cordial


Again I have been inviting myself around to the garden of my good friends in Horsens to pick some more white currants as well as black currant, so I could make both this white currant cordial, this black currant cordial and finally this all currant jelly. This time my friends were at home, so after my picking currants for my many kitchen projects (look by the coming time to see, what I have been up to), I was served a cup of tea and home-made cake with red currants.

I decided to use the recipe on black currant cordial replacing all the black currants with white curant instead of.

Adjust the ratio of water and sugar to the amount of white currants, which you have picked as well as the amount of white currant juice, which you have after the cooking process.It is an easy recipe to scale up as well as down.

White currant cordial:
  • 1000 g white currant - washed and cleaned, the stalks removed
  • 300 ml water
  • 300 g sugar per 500 ml black currant juice
  • 1 teaspoon citric acid per 500 ml black currant juice
  1. Place the prepared white currants together with the water in cooking pot.
  2. Bring the white currants to the boil, let the white currant simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Mask the white currants to release all of the fruit juice.
  4. Pour the white currants either into a jelly bag or into a sieve. It is easier to press the white currants with a cooking spoon, when placed in a sieve based on my experience.
  5. Measure the amount of white currant juice. Add the white currant juice in a cooking pot with 300 g sugar per 500 ml white currant as well as 1 teaspoon citric.
  6. Dissolve the sugar over low heat. The cordial should not be boiled.
  7. Pour the white currant cordial into cleaned bottles.
  8. Dilute the white cordial with water upon serving it.
  9. Enjoy :-)

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, now I know what else to do with the wealth of white currants from my bush next summer

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...