In Germany it is very usual to use poppy seeds in cakes and sometimes as well in yogurt !!! Strange, but actually very tasteful. Sp when I recently was in Germany I decided to make some poppy seeds preparation for use in poppy seeds cake together with another very typical German cake ingredients in form of quark/fromage frais.
The poppy seeds preparation was sold as an Dr. Oetker ingredients, so you can easily imaging, how many of the other ingredients were Dr. Oetker ingredients as well !!! I decided to use these ingredients as well, as I had no clue, what to use instead of.
With it´s content of quark (750 g product with 12% protein), which cake could perhaps fit into a high protein diet ??? I am just joking about a high protein diet :-)
Poppy seeds cake a la Dr. Oetker:
- Cake layer
- 400 g cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g sugar
- 200 g butter - with room temperature
- 1 egg
- Quark layer
- 50 g butter - melted
- 750 g fat-free quark/fromage frais with 10-12% protein
- 200 g sugar
- 1 package of Finesse grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- Poppy seeds filling
- 250 poppy seeds preparation from Dr. Oetker
- 3 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat the (conventional) cake up to 180'C.
- Mix all the cake layer ingredients together in mixer, until the layer comes together like a dough.
- Divide the cake layer into 2/3 and 1/3. The bigger portion (2/3) should be rolled into a thin layer, which is used to cover a bigger baking tray as bottom layer.
- Mix all the quark layer ingredients together to a homogeneous layer in a mixer.
- Pour the quark filling on top of the cake layer.
- Mix the poppy seeds filling together on a mixer.
- Gentle spread the poppy seeds filling as a thin layer on top of the quark filling.
- Roll the little portion (1/3) into thin strings, which is used for decoration on top of the cake. Glaze the dough part with the egg-milk glazing.
- Place the cake in the middle of the oven and bake it at 180'C for 45 minutes.
- Cold down the cake.