Baking bread in cooking pot without kneading the dough at all becomes more and more popular in my kitchen. Making bread this bread requires planning, as the raising for the bread dough is between 12-24 hours !!!
When I was making this bread this morning, I must have been a little bit sleepy still, as I forgot to remove the plastic things, which is keeping a distance with the actual cooking pot and it´s lid !!! Heating up the cooking pot in a fan oven at 250'C means, that plastic is melting. However, I do not have worry about this anymore, as the melted plastic has left the kitchen in garbage bag !!!!
The inspiration for this bread comes from the bread book "Det æltefri grydebrød" and the recipe called quinoabread. Anyway I made the bread without the quinoa seeds, so the dough felt like it needed more water (the dough was very firm), so therefore I increased the water content.
Wheat pot bread: - 1 bread
- 5 g fresh yeast
- 60 g sour dough (optional)
- 350-375 g cold water
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 350 g wheat flour
- 150 whole grain wheat flour
- Stir yeast, sour dough and water together in a big mixing bowl. Add salt and honey into the liquid and stir well.
- Afterwards add the wheat flour and stir very well with a cooking spoon.
- Rise the dough to rise at room temperature overnight - minimum 12 hours.
- Take the dough out off the mixing bowl, move 1/3 of the dough in over the rest of the dough, keep repeating this process until you have a small size of the dough.
- Clean the mixing bowl for any dough leftovers.
- Glaze the dough bowl with oil.
- Place the dough again in a clean dough, let is rise again for 2 hours.
- Heat up the cast iron cooking pot (1½-2 l) incl. lid on a rack in the lower part of the oven at 250°C (fan oven) for ½ hour.
- Remove the hot cast iron cooking from the oven, remove the lid. Cover the bottom of the cooking pot with oat flakes, as this will prevent the dough from sticking to firm to the surface.
- Place the dough in the hot cast iron cooking pot, put the lid back on. Place the cooking pot in the lower part of the oven, let it bake at 250°C for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the cast iron cooking pot, and let the bread bake at 225°C for another 15 minutes.
- Let the bread cold down on the cast iron cooking pot for 30 minutes. before it is taken out.