I some ago stumbled over a cake recipe, which was a combination of chocolate and beetroot, which I found to be a very interesting combination of vegetables in sweet cake.
So when I received a BIG portion of beetroot, it was time for me to bake such chocolate-beetroot cake. The original recipe, which I stored in unknown place, could not be located, so I went searching for another suggestion, and I here I found this recipe on beetroot-chocolate cake, which I made no modifications to.
Chocolate-beetroot cake is really love or hate cake, where is no in between !!!! I love this, but some of my work colleagues had their worst cake experience every in entire life !!!!
Chocolate-beetroot cake: 1 cake
- 250 soft butter
- 325 g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 g (cake) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 100 g dark chocolate - medium-fine chopped
- 450 g raw beetroot - finely grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- icing sugar - optional
- Heat the oven to 190'C.
- Whip butter and muscovado sugar into a light and foamy texture on a stand alone mixer.
- Add in the egg one by one, whip between each addition of egg.
- Sieve flour, vanilla sugar, baking powder and cocoa powder, before it is added into the cake. Stir this in by hand.
- Afterwards stir into the grated beetroot and chopped chocolate.
- Pour the cake dough into a round form (25 cm in diameter).
- Bake the cake in the middle of the oven at 190'C for 40-50 minutes. Check the cake texture with a knitting needle, that it is baked, before removing it from the oven.
- Cool down the cake. Optional dust icing sugar over the cake, before serving it.