March 29, 2018

Orange kugelhopf - Easter calendar 2018


Today it is Maundy Thursday (Skærtorsdag), which is a public holiday here in Denmark and starting off the Danish Easter vacation with 5 days off from work. And at the same time it is the start for my little  Easter Calendar 2018, where I every Easter day will be sharing a new recipe having a relation to Easter of some kind (according to my definition).

I start of with kugelhopf cake, which make me think of Alsace, where the kugelhopf shape is a tradtional cake shape. Alsace is one of my favourite holiday destinations.

I have found the original cake recipe in the monthly magazine "Country Living" March 2018 edition. I have replaced sunflower oil with butter and sour cream for the glazing with yogurt, so adjusting the recipe to the ingredients, which I had in my kitchen !

As my kugelhopf silicone form is relative small I also decided only to make half the portion of the cake dough. So if your kugelhopf form is much bigger than mine, you have to double the recipe.

Orange kulgelhopf: - 1 small cake

  • 120 g butter - melted
  • 165 g (cake) wheat flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon salt (reduce from 3/4 to ½ teaspoon, as I used salted butter)
  • 200 g sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 165 g whole fat milk
  • ½ organic orange - only the zest
  • Glazing
  • yogurt
  • icing sugar
  1. Heat up the oven to 190'C.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Add the melted butter, milk, orange zest and eggs into a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until combined.
  4. Pour the liquid mass into the flour-sugar mix. Stir the mixture together using a cooking spoon.
  5. Fill the cake dough into the kugelhopf form, place the form in the middle of the oven.
  6. Bake the cake at 190'C for 40-50 minutes. Check, that the cake is baked, before removing it from the oven.
  7. Cold down the cake in form, before the cake is removed.
  8. Make glazing from yogurt and icing sugar.
  9. Turn the cake up-side down on a plate. Glaze the cake with yogurt-icing sugar mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...