October 21, 2013

"Fast" rye bread with fennel seeds


I am submitting this recipe on "fast" rye bread with fennel seeds as well into the monthly blogging event called "Tea Time Treats" being managed  Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Kate from What Kate Baked. And for October Kate has selected BREAD BREAD as the theme.

I call this rye bread fast, as it is raised with yeast instead of using a sour dough as raising agent. I am still taking big breaths, before I throw myself into the baking rye bread using sour dough, but some day I know I will do it !!

Rye bread  is the traditional bread type here in the Nordic area, which we can consume for breakfast, lunch or in the evening. Rye bread can be eaten with canned fish, cold cuts or various cheese type. And rye bread is the bottom layer of the well known Danish open sandwiches. So yes, we eat a lot of rye bread here in Scandinavia.

In the beginning of this month I also submitted this recipe on a more traditional white bread in form of
Lønnestrædes olive bread.


The original recipe I have found in a Danish magazine called BageLiv 2013.

Fast rye bread with fennel: - 1 big rye bread or 2 smaller rye breads
  • 50 g water
  • 30 g yeast
  • 400 g beer - brown ale or porter type
  • 2 tablespoons dark syrup
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds - bumped 
  • 200 g broken rye grains
  • 50 g linseed
  • 450 g wholegrain rye flour
  1. Pour water into a mixing bowl and dissolve the yeast in the water.
  2. Afterwards add into the beer, syrup, salt, fennel seeds, rye kernels and linseed. Stir well.
  3. Add in the rye flour little by little. I used a hand mixer for stirring, while I added the rye flour.
  4. Cover a rye bread form with baking paper, and fill the dough into this form.
  5. Let the dough rest for 3-4 hours at room temperature.
  6. Place the rye bread in the oven at cold temperature in the lower of the oven. Heat up to 175'C.
  7. Bake the rye bread for 11/4 to 1½ hours.
  8. Let the rye bread cool down, before you start to the cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...