Today is Shrovetide Sunday, so if you come around singing in front of my door:
Fastelavn er mit navn Shrovetide is my name
Boller vil jeg have Buns I would like to have
Hvis jeg ingen boller får If I get no bunsSå laver jeg ballade When I will make trouble
I will be giving you NO money, but you can go away with this home-made fastelavnsboller a la "Maden i mit liv".
As usual I decided to reduced the yeast amount from the "classic" 50 g to 25 g, while I at the same time increased the raising time.
I must admit I also find this bun dough to quiet fatty in consistency, but better than this bun dough from Speculoos Shrovetide bun. I could actually see fatty spots from where the bun had been laying on the kitchen table. Not being entire happy leaves me plenty of opportunity to look around for the bun dough being perfect in my opinion :-)
To bring to some surprice into the Shrovetide buns, I choose to fill them with various fillings, so you will never know what you get :-)
Fastelavnsboller a la "Maden i mit liv": - 16 buns
- 200 g milk
- 25 g yeast - in small lumps
- 1 knife pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 100 g dairy whipping cream - 35-40% fat
- 125 g butter - melted and cooled down
- 500 g wheat flour
- 1 egg for glazing
- filling suggestions:
- grated marzipan mixed with grate apple
- Speculoos paste
- blood orange curd
- home-made jam like blackberry jam with orange
- icing - optional
- Heat up the milk in the microwave oven at 800 W for 20-30 seconds, until it is finger warm
- Add the milk and yeast into the mixing bowl of my cherished kitchen helper, agitate slowly, while a dry-mix of sugar, salt, vanilla sugar and cardamon is added in as well for 1 minute on speed 1.
- Mix melted butter and dairy cream together into the liquid phase.
- Afterwards add in the wheat flour, knead for 5 minutes on speed 1 followed by 1 minute on speed 2.
- Place the bun dough in air-tight container, while it raise in warm surroundings for ½-2 hours.
- Weigh the bun dough in a size of 60-70 g, which is pressed flat.
- On the flatten bun dough a spoon full of filling is placed.
- Fold the dough together around the filling - fold it close together
- Place the bun up-side-down on the baking plate
- Raise the buns for another 30 minutes
- Heat the (conventional) oven to 200'C
- Glaze the buns with beaten egg
- Bake at 200'C for 20 minutes in the upper part of the oven (conventional)
- Cool down the buns before decoration with sugar icing.