You should really consider to make your own liquorice ice cream, if you often are disappointed, when buying ice cream with liquorice ice, where the taste of liquorice many times to light. Making your liquorice ice cream means, that you can control the level of liquorice added into the ice cream.
With a total of 5 tablespoons of liquorice powder, this ice cream has plenty of liquorice taste, so if you worry about your blood pressure, you should reduce the amount of added liquorice powder. I have previously been sharing a recipe on home-made liquorice ice cream with you.
If you are not Danish or Scandinavian, DO NOT make this ice cream, as the taste will scare the hell out of you !!!
Hopefully I can get started again on my ambition regarding making ice cream on much more regular basic, perhaps monthly ice cream production is too ambitious, but making ice cream every second month would also be OK in my opinion.
If you have any idea, what type of ice cream I should create next time, please feel free to share your suggestion with me :-)
January 27 2015, this recipe was used for the blog challenge "Cooking with herbs" having focus on store cupboards and essentials as theme for January 2015, as liquorice both as syrups (sweet & salty versions) and as powder is cupboard essentials in a Danish kitchen :-)
Liquorice ice cream:
- 630 g whole milk, 3-3.5% fat
- 39 g skimmed milk powder
- 96 g sugar
- 32 g glucose syrup as powder
- 6 g ice cream stabiliser
- 1 tablespoon raw liquorice powder
- 4 tablespoons liquorice powder
- Dry-mix all the powder ingredients. Pout them into the milk, as the milk is whipped.
- Pour the milk base into the a cooking pot.
- Heat the ice cream mix over medium heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the ice cream mix into a plastic container with a lid on.
- Cool down the ice cream mix in the refrigerator, let the mix stand for minimum 4 hours or night over.
- Whip the ice cream mix prior to freezing it.
- Pour the mix into the ice cream machine and freeze it into ice cream, which takes around 30-40 minutes.
- Store the ice cream in the freezer.