For the annual Christmas lunch for The Wonderful Women, where we enjoyed a cheese tapas I decided to bake the bread myself. As one of the bread I choose Best Bread of the World (Verdens bedste brød. This bread became very popular 2 years ago out here in blog land, but I first around baking it now. Good thing takes it´s time !
I also need to get hold of a cast iron cooking pot with a stain less steal knob to bake this bread in. If your present cast iron cooking pot has a phenolic knob, this knob can not withstand the very high temperature during baking. So now I have Le Creuset cast iron cooking (with phenolic knob) for plain cooking and a Pyrex cast iron cooking pot wih stain less knob for bread baking.
This bread both tastes and looks fantastic. And it looks like a bread brought at an Italian baker. So this bread is really a show-off, which is so very, very easy to bake. Actaully you are not even kneading the dough at all.
Best Bread of the World - Verdens Bedste brød: - 1 bread
- 600 g water
- 5 g fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 625 g wheat flour (550 g wheat flour and 75 g whole grain wheat flour)
- Stir yeast and water together in a big mixing bowl. Add salt, honey and flour and stir with a cooking spoon.
- Rise the dough to rise at room temperature overnight - minimum 12 hours.
- Take the dough out off the mixing bowl, move 1/3 of the dough in over the rest of the dough, keep repeating this process untill you have a small size of the dough.
- Clean the mixing bowl for any dough leftovers.
- Place the dough again in a clean miing bowl, ket is rise again for 2 hours.
- Heat up the cast iron cooking pot incl. lid on a rack in the lower part of the oven at 250°C (fan oven) for ½ hour.
- Remove the hot cast iron cooking from the oven, remove the lid. Cover the bottom of the cooking pot with oat flakes, as this will prevent the dough from sticking to firm to the surface.
- Place the dough in the hot cast iron cooking pot, put the lid back on. Place the cooking pot in the lower part of the oven, let it bake at 250°C for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the cast iron cooking pot, and let the bread bake at 250°C for another 15 minutes.
- Let the bread cold down on the cast iron cooking pot for 30 minutes. before it is taken out.
Corr that does look good Kiki, and you've reminded me how darn good home made bread is. I've been meaning to start a sourdough starter for an age and now I feel inspired to do that - thank you!ReplyDelete
I wish you success with your sour dough starter :-) I once had a sourdough starter living in my refrigerator for a short period, before I managed to "kill it".Delete
My girl friends were really impressed by this bread. They thought I had been buying at a baker´s shop.
It is one of the most easy bread to bake yourself.