Boller i karry - meat balls in curry sauce is a classic Danish food, which also is referred to mormormad (Grand Ma´s food). Meat balls in curry has always been one of my favourite food, which I always pick, when available for example in the canteen at work.
Therefore I am always looking for new ways of making meat ball in curry, so when I saw this recipe in the weekly magazine "Søndag" (issue 35/2015), I decided to make it for my weekly Sunday dinner for my mother. This time the strength of the curry was at more reasonable level for her, so she even went home with some leftovers :-)
Boller i karry - meat balls in curry sauce a la Søndag: - 4 servings
- 500 g minced meat of veal and pork
- 1 onion - minced
- 1 egg
- 3/4 dl breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of curry
- 1½ tablespoons of olive oil
- 200 g carrots - medium grated
- 2½ dl dairy whipping cream, 38% fat
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Mix the minced meat together with the onion, egg, breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of curry, salt and pepper into a homogeneous mass.
- Bring a cooking pot full of water (with salt) into the boil.
- Form the meat mass into smaller meat balls, which when is added into the boiling water. The meat balls are ready, when they pop up to the surface of the boiling water. Remove the meat balls from the water. Keep the boiling water for later use in the curry sauce.
- Roast 1½ tablespoon of curry in empty cooking pot.
- Add the olive oil and grated carrots on top of the roasted curry, roast this mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3 dl of the boiling water into this curry mix. Let it boil softly for 5 minutes.
- Blend the curry sauce with a stick blender into a homogeneous mass. Add in the dairy whipping cream.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the meat balls and let everything simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the meat balls in curry together with boiled rice.