Last week-end I took part in get-together for rowers participating in the Danish Summer rowing trip on the Thames. Besides from baking some bread (oat flakes bread with linseed & Rowan's five grain bread) I also baked some cake for the afternoon coffee break, which we had on our whole day rowing tour on the fjord of Vejle.
It is not an easy task to transport a cake with glazing in a rowing boat, therefore I had the cream cheese glazing in a separate container, so the glazing was first added on top of the cake just before we ate the cake. So quite many of my fellow rowers thought, that I was spreading humus on of the cake !!!!
Squash is very much in season, so I decided to this squash cake with cream cheese glazing seasoned with cinnamon. I have got this specific recipe from a colleague at work by the name of Preben. The use of cinnamon in the cream cheese glazing gives an excellent flavour twist combined with a colling sensation.
If you do not make the cream cheese glazing, when the squash on it´s own is actually both lactose-free.
Preben´s squash cake with cinnamon cream cheese glazing:
- 5 eggs
- 500 g sugar
- 2½ dl (rapeseed) oil
- 325 g (cake) wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 275 g squash - grated
- 50 g walnuts - roughly minced
- 200 g full-fat cream cheese
- 125 g butter - soft
- 125 g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat up the oven to 200'C.
- Whip the sugar and eggs together into a foamy structure on stand-alone mixer.
- Add in the baking powder, salt, soda, vanilla sugar and cinnamon, whip again.
- Add in the flour and whip again.
- Stir in the grated squash and minced walnuts by hand.
- Fill the cake dough into a round form (28 cm).
- Bake the cake at 200'C for 50-60 minutes.
- Check by fork or meat needle, if the cake is baked.
- Cool down the cake.
- Whip cream cheese, soft butter, icing sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon together on stand-alone mixer.
- Spread the glazing on top of the cold squash cake.
- Enjoy :-)