I have found this recipe on marinaded herrings with cranberry and red onion last Christmas in the weekly magazine "Alt for Damerne". However, it is first now, that I have had the time to actually made these herrings.
Marinaded herrings in all different types of flavourings is MUST on the Danish Christmas lunch table for a lot of people me included. However, believe it or not, some Danes do not likes herrings, they really dislike herrings!!! When describing marinaded herrings to foreigners, I refers to marinaded herrings as Danish sushi :-)
Marinaded herrings with cranberries and red onions: - 3 glasses
- 5 dl plain vinegar
- 480 g sugar
- 4 red onions - peeled and diced into 8 boats
- 10 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 100 g fresh cranberries
- 500 g marinaded herrings drained from their marinade
- Start by adding boiling water to the storage glasses.
- Drain the herrings from it original marinade. Divide the herring pieces between the 3 glasses.
- Pour vinegar and sugar into a medium size cooking pot. Bring the liquid to the boil, so the sugar is dissolved.
- When boiling slightly, add the red onion boats, star anise and cloves to the liquid. Let is boil gentle for 4 minutes.
- Afterwards add the cranberries to the marinade. Remove the marinade from the heat, and let it cool down.
- Add the red onions, cranberries equal between the storage glasses. Pour the marinade liquid up top of the herrings.
- Close the glasses.
- Store the herrings cold in the refrigerator for minimum 1-2 days.
- Enjoy these herrings for your Christmas lunch :-)
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.