When I was baking these pepper nuts and smelling to the wonderful flavour of the many different spices, I decided to twist this recipe on orange and cranberry scones replacing the orange and cranberry with a pepper nut spice mix.
When baking these scones the kitchen became full of amazing Christmas smells :-)
Orange & Cranberry Scones: 20-12 scones
- 350 g wheat flour
- 85 g sugar - diced into small pieces
- 85 g butter
- 1 organic lemon - only the zest
- 1½ tablespoon pepper nut spice mixture
- 175 g plain yogurt - yogurt without addition of neither sugar or fruit
- egg wash
- 1-2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 200'C.
- Cover a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, lemon zest, pepper nut spice mixture and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter pieces, rub in the butter using only your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a hole in the mixture, where the yogurt is pour into. Knead the scone dough together, until it is soft.
- Roll out the scone dough in a thickness of 2 cm.
- Cut out the scones from the dough using a cutter. Do not twist the cutter, while doing this.
- Turn the scone up side down, when it is placed on the baking tray.
- Let the scones raise for 15-30 minutes prior to baking.
- Before making, brush the the top of the scones with egg wash (only the top, as this affect the raising of the scone during baking). Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake the scones at 200'C for 15 minutes, until golden.
- Cold down prior to serving.