For my recent Sunday dinner with my mother I made this pirog with a filling of rice, cheese, egg and mushrooms. I recall, that the original recipe was a part of the magazine "Samvirke" issued by COOP back in 80's. And here I actually made this dish very regular, when I was cooking at home at my parents. However, the recipe disappeared, and it is first recently, that I have located the identical recipe here Allans opskriftssamling.dk.
So it was really a trip down memory lane making this pirog again and serving it for my mother last Sunday.
I have made a few adjustments. Instead of margarine I have off cause been using butter :-) and on top I have been adding in some mushroom from glass. And instead of kneading the dough by hand, I used a stand-alone mixer for the "hard work" of kneading :-)
Any leftovers of this pirog can be re-heated in the microwave oven or serve cold in your lunch pack.
Pirog with rice, ham, cheese, egg and mushrooms: - 4 servings
- 50 g butter
- 125 ml water
- 15 g fresh yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 g wheat flour
- Rice filling:
- 15-20 g butter
- 1 onion - medium chopped
- 1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 dl rice
- 4 dl vegetable stock
- Extra addition into the rice filling after boiling:
- 90-100 g cooked and smoked ham - medium chopped
- 2 eggs
- 50 g grated cheese - I used Cheddar
- 1 glass of mushrooms
- 1 egg/egg wash for glazing of the dough
- Add all the ingredients to the dough into the mixing bowl of the stand-alone mixer. Keep the yeast and salt away from each other.
- Knead the dough ingredients together at speed 2 for 6-8 minutes.
- Afterwards increase the speed to 4, knead for 2 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough. If it is not OK, when knead it at speed 4 for another 2 minutes. Again check the consistency. If needed, knead again for 1 minute and when check consistency of the dough.
- Let the dough raise in the mixing bowl covered by a tea towel for approx 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling for the pirog.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the melted butter in the medium size cooking pot for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in paprika, turmeric and rice, and let it fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock, bring the rice filling to the boil.
- Let the rice simmer gently boil for approx. 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooking pot from the heat.
- Heat up the oven (conventional) to 200'C.
- Roll out the dough on a piece of baking parchment in the size of 40x50 cm.
- Place the rolled out dough with baking parchment on a baking tray.
- Add in ham, cheese, eggs and mushrooms into the boiled rice.
- Add the pirog filling on one part of the dough.
- Cover the pirog filling by the other part of the dough.
- Press the end of dough firmly together. I use a fork to do this.
- Glazing the surface of the dough with egg wash.
- Bake the pirog in the middle of the oven at 200'C for approx 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.