For another portion of pickled green tomatoes I decided to test out this recipe by Spis Bedre as one of the options using my last tomato harvest.
I decided to use a vanilla pod without any vanilla corns inside. I always keep the left over vanilla pods, when I have been using the vanilla corns from other baking activities in my kitchen.
I am looking to try these pickled tomatoes after the required two weeks storage time.
Pickled green tomato a la Spis Bedre:- 2 glasses
- 500 g green tomatoes
- 300 g sugar
- 1½ dl vingear
- 1½ dl water
- 1 vanilla pod - without vanilla corns inside
- 3 cardamom seeds
- potassium sorbate - optional
- Start by adding the boiling water to the pickling glasses.
- Clean the picked tomatoes.
- Prepare the tomatoes by pinching the small tomatoes with fork, so the pickling liquid can get into the tomato.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar, vanilla pod and cardamom seeds into a medium sized cooking pod. Bring the liquid to the boil.
- Add the pinched tomatoes into the pickling liquid, which should simmer gently. Let the tomato cook gentle for 5-10 minutes.
- Empty the pickling glasses for the hot water.
- Removed the cooked green tomatoes and place them in the pickling glasses.
- Add the potassium sorbate into the pickling liquid - optional.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the green tomatoes in the storage glasses.
- Close the pickling glasses.
- Let the green tomatoes store for two weeks, before you start using them.