Last Friday a good colleague of mine greeted me upon arrival at work with a plastic bag full of small citrus fruits from a citrus tree in his green house.
Sticking my nose into the plastic bag my nose was filled with a wonderful flavour of citrus :-) I knew at once, that I would these mini citrus fruits into jam using this method for making citrus jam. The only modification, which I made was to reduce the cooking time significantly to only 5-7 minutes due to the size of the mini citrus fruits.
The final jam is quiet liquid/fluid, so the natural pectin level in mini citrus fruits was quiet low.
Mini Citrus Jam:
- 325 g mini citrus fruits
- 275 g sugar or more sugar, if more sweetness is preferred
- Wash the mini citrus fruits.
- Place the mini citrus fruits in a small cooking pot, which when is filled with water.
- Place the lid on the cooking pot. Let the citrus fruits boiled (softly) for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the mini citrus fruits and place them in a blender.
- Add sugar on top of the citrus fruits.
- Blend everything into a homogeneous mass.
- Add the sugar little by little, so you adjust the sweetness level to your personal preference.
- Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. I do not use any preservatives in my home-made jam, so this is important to increase shelf-life of your jam. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards.
- Fill the glass with jam and close the glass.