July 15, 2013

Rhubarb jam for Tea Time Treat


I am always eagerly awaiting to see, what theme the hostess (either Karen from Lavender and Lovage or Kate from What Kate Baked) of the bloging event Tea Time Time has selected for the monthly virtual tea table. And for July the theme is Fresh Fruit :-)


However, I have decided to enlarge the theme into vegetable as my entry is made from rhubarb, which is not a fruit, but considered to be a vegetable !!! Anyway, I am growing rhubarb in my own little garden and I have as well various friends and colleagues how are happy to supply with me rhubarb for their own surplus.

Instead of making muffins with rhubarb and white chocolate or rhubarb crumble, I decided to share this recipe on rhubarb jam with vanilla for the tea table. I think this jam will do quiet nicely together with some scones.

Normally I work with ratio of 1 part sugar to 2 part of fruit, when I am making jam, but as rhubarb is quiet acidic, I decided to increase the ratio between sugar and fruit to 1 part of sugar to 1 part of rhubarb.

If you prefer a less sweet tasting rhubarb jam, you can always start with 1 part of sugar to 2 part of rhubarb, cook up the rhubarb, taste the hot jam and evaluate the entire sweetness of the jam, and when adjust the sweetness by adding in more sugar.

I always add the remain of the vanilla pod, when cooking various things using vanilla. And I never remove the vanilla pod from my jam, so if you are the "lucky" receiver of my jam, you should be prepare to remove the vanilla pod yourself.

Rhubarb jam with vanilla:

  • 500 g rhubarb - stems cut into small pieces
  • 500 g jam sugar
  • 1 lemon - the juice
  • 1 vanilla pod
  1. Mix the rhubarb pieces with jam sugar, vanilla corns and pod with lemon juice in a cooking pot. I use a Gently heat up to the boiling point.
  2. Let the rhubarb jam boil for 4-5 minutes.
  3. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water to sterilise them.
  4. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass. Store them cold.

4 comments:

  1. Perfect recipe for the challenge. I love rhubarb jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment :-) I am a BIG fan of rhubarb myself. Perhaps you have noticed, that I have "rhubarb" as one of my label option, so you easily can find various recipe with rhubarb as important ingredient.

      Many kitchen greetings Kiki

      Delete
  2. What a FABULOUS colour the jam is Kiki and one of my favourites too, a really LOVELY Tea Time Treats entry, thanks so much! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      thank you for hosting the virtual tea table of July :-)

      Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...