I received a bunch of rhubarb in my weekly vegetable box from Årstiderne, which I decided to turn into rhubarb more or less the same day/evening.
Normally I work with ratio of 1 part sugar to 2 part of fruit, when I am making jam, but as rhubarb is quiet acidic, I decided to increase the ratio between sugar and fruit to 1 part of sugar to 1 part of rhubarb.
If you prefer a less sweet tasting rhubarb jam, you can always start with 1 part of sugar to 2 part of rhubarb, cook up the rhubarb, taste the hot jam and evaluate the entire sweetness of the jam, and when adjust the sweetness by adding in more sugar.
I always add the remain of the vanilla pod, when cooking various things using vanilla. And I never remove the vanilla pod from my jam, so if you are the "lucky" receiver of my jam, you should be prepare to remove the vanilla pod yourself.
Rhubarb jam with vanilla:
- 500 g rhubarb - stems cut into small pieces
- 500 g jam sugar
- 1 lemon - the juice
- 1 vanilla pod
- Mix the rhubarb pieces with jam sugar, vanilla corns and pod with lemon juice in a cooking pot. I use a Gently heat up to the boiling point.
- Let the rhubarb jam boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water.
- Fill the glass with jam and close the glass. Store them cold.