Winter time is season for all types of citrus fruit, so I decided to make some orange scones using this recipe on saffron scones as starting point.
These scones had a fantastic taste of orange and buttery texture.
To remain within the citrus theme I served these scones together with blood orange curd.Well I did not drink orange tea to these scones, instead of I enjoyed a nice cup of spicy chocolate Kusmi tea :-)
Orange scones: - 6-7 pieces
- 450 g wheat (cake) flour flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 60 g sugar
- 125 g cold butter
- 1 blood orange - zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon of orange flower extract
- 1 egg
- 140 g milk
- Heat the oven (conventional) to 250'C.
- Mix the flour, salt, orange zest, baking powder and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces.
- Grind the butter pieces into the flour mix.
- Mix the orange juice, orange flower extract, milk and egg together.
- Add the juice-milk and egg without kneading into a dough.
- Place the dough on a pieces of baking paper.
- Flatten the dough into a height of 3 cm.
- Use a glass to cut out scone pieces.
- Bake the scone at 250'C for 12-15 minutes.