In case you do not have the time for baking Shrovetide buns (fastelavnsboller), when you should make scones instead of, as scones do not need to raise.
As flavouring for these scones I have select apple and marzipan, as these ingredients are typical in classic Shrovetide bun
Shrovetide scones: - 8 pieces
- 450 g (cake) wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 125 g cold butter
- 1 apple - cored, peeled and diced
- 100 g marzipan - grated roughly
- 1 egg
- 200 g milk
- Heat the oven (conventional) to 250'C.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces.
- Grind the butter pieces into the flour mix.
- Mix the milk and egg together.
- Add the milk and egg without kneading into a dough.
- Add in the apple and marzipan without kneading into a dough.
- Place the dough on a piece of baking paper.
- Roll the dough in a role using the baking paper for the rolling part. Cut the role into 8 pieces, form each piece into a round shape.
- Bake the scone at 250'C for 12-15 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Cool down and enjoy together with a nice cup of tea :-)