As usual I participate in the monthly blogging called Tea Time Treats, which is managed by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Jane from The Hedge Combers. As theme for February Karen has selected toast - on toast -toasties
So what type of toast should I create for this occasion ? A standard toast known as French toast here in Denmark being a combination of cheese and ham between two slices of boring white sandwich bread, which actually is not filling anything in your stomach. Or should it be the much better tasting and much more filling Croque Monsieur or Croque Madame ?
How to twist a Croque Madame / Croque Monsieur into a more British style ? Well the Gruyere cheese can be replaced with matured Cheddar, the Dijon mustard with English mustard and the ham to be substituted with bacon !!!
Mr & Mrs Croque: - 1 toast
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 slices bread
- ½ teaspoon English mustard
- 4 slices of bacon
- 6 small slices of matured Cheddar
- Whip one egg together with the milk.
- Fry the slices of bacon
- Spread the mustard on one side of each bread slice
- Place the slices of Cheddar on one slice of bread on top of the mustard.
- Place the fried bacon on top of the Cheddar.
- Place the second slice of bread on top of the bacon.
- Heat up the butter on a frying pan, the butter should not turn brown.
- Place the toast into the egg-milk mix on both sides.
- Fry the toast on each side for 1½ minutes per side. At the same time fried the second egg.
- Served the toast on a plate. Adding the fried egg on top of the toast turns Mr. Croque into Mrs. Croque.
- Enjoy an easy, yet very taste toast :-)