My mother has a blueberry bush in her garden, and this year we have even covered this bush in a net, but still no blueberries from my mother garden !!!
However, blueberries are in season right here and now, so you can fresh local blueberries in the supermarkets for low amount of money. So this blueberry jam has been made with a helping hand from my local supermarket.
Blueberry jam with vanilla:
- 1000 g fresh blueberries
- 1 vanilla pod - corn & pod
- 500 g sugar
- 5 tablespoons of water
- 15 g pectin
- apple vinegar - optional
- Add the water, blueberries, vanilla corn and pod to a cooking pot.
- Heat up the fruit to the boil.
- Dry-mix pectin with 50 g of the sugar. Add this pectin-sugar dry-mix, while agitation very well to the fruit. It is important NOT to add the sugar at this stage, as the gelling powder need the water from the fruit to hydrate sufficiently.
- Let the fruit gentle cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the sugar to the fruit. Add the sugar to the fruit. It is very important, that you add the sugar little by little, while you agitate, in order to pre-gelling/gel lumps in the jam.
- Let the jam cook for another 2 minutes.
- Taste the jam, decide is you would like more sweetness or acidity in the final jam.
- Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards to increase the shelf-life.
- Store cold.