My kitchen has been smelling this afternoon of wonderful lavender !!!
I am having some guests coming for afternoon tea tomorrow afternoon, so I have started to bake for this today. And I decided to start with baking meringue with lavender and orange bloom extract based on the recipe from "Klimakogebogen" by Susanne Engelstoft with a few modifications.
Two tablespoons of lavender is giving quiet a strong taste of lavender with a slight bitter note, so consider to reduce the amount of lavender, if you are not a fan for parfume flavour in your food.
- 4½ egg white
- 225 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange bloom extract
- 2 tablespoons lavender
- Whip the egg white half stiff.
- Add sugar and orange bloom extract.
- Add this mix very, very stiff. I normally whip for 4 minutes with a hand-mixer.
- Add the lavender into the meringue mass, whip it in.
- Use a spoon to place the meringue mass on a baking tray covered with baking paper. I do not use a silicone cover for this, as it can be quiet difficult to remove the meringue after baking.
- Heat the oven to 125'C - conventional oven.
- Bake for 1½-2 hours.