April 29, 2012

Squash cake a la Årstiderne


I keep baking this squash cake again and again, as I just love the taste and texture of it. And when I try to convince myself, that a cake with squash is more healthy than a normal cake with vegetable addition !!!! Can you call this a good argument ?

I have found this recipe in one of the weekly newsletter from my "vegetable pusher" also known as Årstiderne. The ONLY modification I have done to this recipe is, that I am adding as nutmeg as spice to the cake dough.

I normally give the minced squash a tour in the salad sling in order to remove some of the moist. As squash I either use fresh squash during the summer season and grated squash stored in the freezer out of the summer season. Some of my working colleagues are bringing their surplus of squash with them to work during the squash "high season". And I take some of these squash home with me and grated them and placed in my freezer for later use.

This cake is as well perfect for freezing, if you can not eat all the cake in one go.

UPDATE 1 October 2014:
This lsquash cake is been forwarded as my contribution for the monthly blogging challenge Tea Time Treats, which is hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Janie from The Hedge Combers. As theme for October, Karen has selected vegetables as theme.

Squash cake a la Årstiderne:

  • 3 eggs
  • 5 dl sugar
  • 3 tea spoons cinnamon
  • 1/4-½ tea spoon nutmeg
  • 1 table spoon home-made vanilla sugar
  • 50 g walnut - minced
  • 5 dl squash - minced
  • 2½ dl rape seed oil
  • 5 dl (cake) flour
  • 1/4 tea spoon baking powder
  • 2 tea spoons soda
  • 2 tea spoons salt
  1. Whip the eggs and sugar together.
  2. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla sugar and minced walnuts. And whip again.
  3. Add squash and rape seed oil, and mix well.
  4. Flour, baking powder and soda is sieved into the cake dough.
  5. Mix everything well together.
  6. Pour the dough into a baking form.
  7. Bake the cake at 200'C (conventional oven) for approx 1 hour.
  8. Test that the cake is baked well before taking it out of the oven.


4 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea for a vegetable cake and the perfect entry for Tea Time Treats too! Thanks! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment Karen on this great tasting cake :-) Kirsten

      Delete
  2. Great looking cake - delicious for a tea time treat. I also love your idea of freezing grated squash - brilliant for making fritters and frittata (or even more cake) during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      thank you for your nice comment :-) I also use the frozen grated squash later during Winter time for squash muffins and squash buns. Your suggestions also sound very interesting :-)

      Many kitchen greeting - Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...