Today it is Maundy Thursday (Skærtorsdag), which is a public holiday here in Denmark and starting off the Danish Easter vacation with 5 days off from work. And at the same time it is also the day for the second blog post in my little Easter Calendar 2019 Easter Calendar 2019, where I every Easter day will be sharing a new recipe having a relation to Easter of some kind (according to my definition).
I found this recipe on Easter cakes at Dansukker påskeforme, which I decided to bake as the decoration part looks very easy. Sprinkle the surface of the small cakes with icing sugar, place a small fresh flower and the finishing touch of a small Easter candy egg.
Easter cakes: - 12 small cakes
- 250 g (cake) wheat flour
- 125 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125 g cold butter - cut into small squares
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 1oinch of salt
- 50 g sugar
- 125 g butter - soft
- 100 g almond flour
- 100 g (cake) wheat flour
- 1 dl jam - orange jam
- icing sugar
- Easter egg candy
- fresh flowers
- Add flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter and water into blender bowl with a cutting knife. Blend everything together, until the dough comes together.
- Place the dough in bowl with lid or plastic bag. Let the dough rest cold in the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile whip egg whites and salt into firm foam.
- Add in the sugar, as you keep whipping.
- Add in the soft butter and whip into a homogeneous mass.
- Add in the almond and wheat flour and stir into a homogeneous mass.
- Heat up the oven to 175'C.
- Divide the pastry dough into 12 pieces.
- Cover the surface of silicone muffin forms with pastry dough.
- Fill 1 teaspoon full orange jam into the bottom of the pastry dough.
- Finally fill the remaining part of the cake form with the cake filling. I use two teaspoon to the add the cake filling on top of the orange jam.
- Bake the cakes at 175'C for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool down.
- Decorate the surface of the cakes with icing sugar (passed through a sieve), fresh flower and Easter egg candy.
- Serve together with coffee & tea.