I have been making apple jam taking inspiration from a cake recipe from the magazine Isabellas February - March 2011 on "Fastelavnsboller med æblefyld". I also discussed this recipe with some of my colleagues working professional with jams. Thank you "fruit ladies" for your recommendations and advice :-))
And finally my neighbour lent me a helping hand, as I did not have any whole cloves in my kitchen cupboard.
I will use this apple jam either for plain yogurt and/or bread with or without cheese.
- 4 apples
- sugar - half the amount of the apple mass
- ½ dl water
- 6 g gelling powder (citrus pectin, sugar and citric acid) per 500 g apple & sugar
- ½ vanilla pod
- 3 cardamon kernels
- 2 whole cloves
- peel of 1 lemon - organic
- the fruit part of 1 lemon
- Peel the apples and cut the apple into 1 x 1 cm pieces. The peel from the apple will not be so appealing, while eating the final jam.
- Peel the lemon - without the white part of the peel - cut it in into small pieces. As well cut the fruit part of the lemon into small pieces.
- Remove the vanilla corns from the vanilla pod. Use the vanilla pod as well
- Put the apple into a cooking pot together with the water. Add the gelling powder and agitate.
- It is important NOT to add the sugar at this stage, as the gelling powder need the water from the fruit to hydrate sufficiently.
- Also add the lemon peel & fruit, cardamon kernel, cloves, vanilla corn and vanilla pod.
- Bring the fruit to the boiling point and let it boil until the apple is "al dente" in the bite.