I will only buy one of these woman's weekly magazine here in Denmark like "Alt for Damerne" and "Femina", if I get something extra with the weekly magazine such a DVD, book, nail polish or some cooking recipes. Last week I got an extra magazine with "Alt for Damerne" called "BageLIV - februar/marts 2012" with focus on baking. And there is plenty of interesting recipes in this magazine, which I look forward to try out.
I had all the needed ingredients for this caramel cake, so I selected this cake as the starting point. I more or less always have both dark brown and light brown muscovado sugar in my kitchen. And the title of the cake is caramel cake, I decided to use the light brown version, which is having caramel taste compared to the liquorice taste of the dark brown muscovado sugar.
This cake requires quiet some attention, as you simply do not add everything into the same mixing bowl. And it is a little tricky to ensure, that flour is stir well into the butter-sugar mass without having hidden flour lumps in the cake mass.
The taste of the cake is mild and plain without any interesting flavour twist. So you are not offending anyone serving this cake, as the taste is as plain as it is.
Caramel cake a la BoligLiv:
- 200 g butter - with salt
- 200 g light sugar syrup
- 200 g light brown muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 300 g (cake) flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - grained
- Slowly melt the butter and light sugar syrup together in a cooking pot.
- When the butter is melted, add the muscovado sugar into the butter-sugar mass and stir well to ensure that any muscovado sugars lumps will melt.
- Let the butter-sugar cool down - approx 10-15 minutes.
- Whip the eggs and milk gentle together.
- Stir the egg mass into the butter-sugar mass.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and nutmeg together.
- Mix the flour mass and butter-sugar-egg mass together into a homogeneous mass, use an electric whipper for this, as it is taking some time.
- Line a baking form (32 x 23 cm) with baking paper. Fill the cake mass into the baking form.
- Bake the cake in a conventional oven at 175'C - place the cake in the cold oven in middle.
- Bake at 175'C for approx 60 minutes.
- Cool down and serve the cake.