I kept trying to make a typical meringue recipe three times in a row, but every time when I had mixed the egg white and the major part of the icing sugar together, the meringue mix collapsed and turned very, very liquid !!!!! So becoming more and more desperate I finally decided to bake the meringue mix in muffin forms, filling ½ of the muffin form with the meringue. And this trial turned very positive out giving a airy meringue muffin with saturated taste of liquorice.
Also I could not keep on feeding Hannibal the Cat with all these egg yolk from my failed attempts on making meringue. Hannibal the Cat is a big fan of raw egg and/or egg yolks, but I also need to control the cholesterol intake by him.
Liquorice Meringue Muffin:
- 3 egg whites
- 160 icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon salty liquorice syrup
- Heat the oven (conventional) to 150'C
- Beat the egg white firm.
- Whip in 3 tablespoons of icing sugar, one tablespoon at the time.
- Gentle stir in the rest of the icing sugar and liquorice syrup.
- Fill ½ of the muffin form with the meringue mass.
- Place the baking tray in the middle of the oven.
- Bake at 150'C for 30-40 minutes.