I have created this recipe on walnut buns out from two different walnut bread recipes, one from Elins walnut bread from "Hjemmebagt" and the other one from paper bag containing rye flour. And they have turned out very, very well also according to my afternoon tea guests.
I use the cheapest fermented dairy products, which I can get hold off, which is butter milk in this case. However, you can use plain thick milk, A-38 or yogurt, if you have this in your refrigerator. As sugar part you can use, what ever you have available in your kitchen cupboard such as agave syrup, honey, maple syrup or just plain sugar.
I hope you will try out my own creation of walnut buns in your own kitchen.
Lønnestræde´s walnut bun with rye and wheat flour: 16-18 buns
- 300 g rye flour
- 450 g wheat flour
- 10 g yeast
- 300 g boiling water
- 300-350 g butter milk
- 1½ tea spoon salt
- 100 g walnuts - minced
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup/maple syrup/honey
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Mix rye flour and boiling water together. And let it cool down, approx 1 hour
- Add the rest of ingredients into the cold rye mix.
- Knead the dough together for approx 10 minutes by hand.
- Lets the dough rest cold for 8-12 hours.
- De-gas the dough.
- Form buns of equal weight, so all the buns are baked similar after the baking. Or form two breads
- Lets the dough raise under a tea towel at approx. 45-60 minutes at ambient temperature.
- Heat the oven to 225'C (conventional).
- Place the walnut buns in the middle of the oven.
- Let the buns bake for 20-25 minutes. If you have formed breads, the baking time is approx 40 minutes instead of.