Having discovered the great taste of home-made "hveder", where is no turning back for commercial baked "hveder". The combination of freshly grounded cardamon covering your kitchen in wonderful flavour and eating freshly baked/roasted buns is a combination made in heaven !!!
Previous years I have been using this recipe on "hveder", however I like to taste new versions of classic recipes, so this year I have located this recipe hveder from the blog "Maden i mit liv". I have the following adjustments to the original recipe. As usual I reduced the yeast amount from 50 g to 25 g to minimise the yeast flavour notes, I added vanilla sugar to boost the overall taste and finally I have used a combination of "plain" wheat flour and whole grain wheat flour.
It is as well the first time, that I have used steam from boiling for the second raising of the bun dough inside the oven prior to baking the buns. And it was quiet amazing to see, how the volume of the buns were increased during this way of making the second raising. Therefore I think, that I will using the method for my coming baking of buns.
"Hveder" with inspiration from "Maden i mit liv": - 25 buns
- 100 g butter - melted
- 250 g water
- 250 milk
- 25 g yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 300 g whole grain wheat flour
- 700 g wheat flour
- Add melted butter, milk, water and yeast in the bowl on the mixer. Mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Afterwards add in eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla sugar and cardamon. mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Pour in the flour, continue to knead the dough on speed 1 for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in bowl with a closing lid, let the dough raise for 2 hours.
- Divide the dough in equal sizes of 80-90 g. Place the bun pieces in a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place the baking tray with dough in the oven without heat together with another tray filled with boiling water. Let the buns raise and "grow" together in the steam for 30 minutes.
- Take water and bun dough out of the oven.
- Heat up the (conventional) oven to 200'C.
- Bake the buns in the baking tray at 200'C for 30 minutes placed in the middle part of the oven.
- Cold down the buns
- Cut the wheat bun into 2 pieces - lets those roast at 200'C for 6-8 minutes
- Served hot or cold together with butter - plenty of butter, cheese and some fantastic home-made jam.