From time to time I am baking muffins, as these are easy to freeze down and when defrost for a cup of tea/coffee either at home or when out rowing a longer tour. As I was having some marzipan laying around in the refrigerator as left-over I went looking for a recipe, where marzipan and eggs (having eggs getting close to the end of shelf-life) were important ingredients.
I found a recipe on carrot muffins with marzipan on the home page of Oden Marcipan (gulerodsmuffins a la Odense Marcipan), where I made three modifications. I added in some orange zest for fun, used a combination of light muscovado sugar and sugar as I did not have enough muscovado on it´s own. And finally I decided to drop the icing of cream cheese as muffins with icing are tricky to freeze down and maintain a nice look afterwards.
UPDATE 13 June 2015:
These cookies are being forward for the monthly blogging event Tea Time Treats having the theme of muffins, fairy cakes and cupcakes Tea Time Treast is managed by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Jane from The Hedge Combers.
Carrot muffins with marzipan: - 14 muffins
- 225 g butter
- 115 g light muscovado sugar
- 185 g sugar
- 4 eggs & 1 egg yolk
- 150 g marzipan - grated
- 250 g carrot - grated
- 1 orange (organic) - only the zest finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 200 g (cake) flour
- 1 teaspoon bakingpowder
- Heat the (conventional) oven to 180'C
- Melt the butter.
- Whip sugar and sugar into foamy eggnog.
- Stir grated marzipan and carrot into the eggnog.
- Mix spices, baking powder and flour together. Sieve this mix into the muffin dough.
- Stir in the melted butter as well.
- Pour the muffin dough into muffin form.
- Bake the muffin at 180'C for 25 minutter in the middle of the oven.