Yesterday it was Great Prayer Day (Store Bededag), anyway I am huge fan of these wheat buns, which we traditional eat in connection with Great Prayer Day, so therefore I have been baking yet another portion of "hveder", this time using the recipe on "hveder" with marzipan from Odense Marcipan.
I made the following modification: reducing of the vanilla sugar, so the taste is not too sweet, reducing the amount of yeast and finally been using a combination of plain wheat flour and whole grain wheat flour.
Hveder med marcipan for Store Bededag - wheat buns with marzipan for Great Prayer Day
|Before steam treatment in the oven|
- 50 g butter - melted
- 250 g milk
- 15 g yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150 g marzipan - grated
- 150 g whole grain wheat flour
- 3500 g wheat flour
|After 30 minutes steam treatment in the oven|
- Add melted butter, milk, water and yeast in the bowl on the mixer. Mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Afterwards add in eggs, salt, marzipan and vanilla sugar, mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Pour in the flour, continue to knead the dough on speed 2 for 7-8 minutes.
- Place the dough in bowl with a closing lid, let the dough raise for 2 hours.
- Divide the dough in equal sizes of 70-80 g. Place the bun pieces in a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place the baking tray with dough in the oven without heat together with another tray filled with boiling water. Let the buns raise and "grow" together in the steam for 30 minutes.
- Take water and bun dough out of the oven.
- Heat up the (conventional) oven to 200'C.
- Bake the buns in the baking tray at 200'C for 30 minutes placed in the middle part of the oven.
- Cold down the buns
- Cut the wheat bun into 2 pieces - lets those roast at 200'C for 6-8 minutes
- Served hot or cold together with butter - plenty of butter, cheese and some fantastic home-made jam.