Meat balls in carry sauce served together with rice known as "boller i karry" has been a favourite dish of mine since childhood. I must admit that I have not located the best recipe yet for this dish, but this recipe is getting pretty close to being a favourite. However, I still need to fine tune the level of curry flavour in the curry sauce, but the taste of the meat balls are perfect.
I have located this recipe here: Newyorkerbyheart boller i karry fra Go Morgen Danmark, and I have made no changes to the recipe besides, from letting the meat ball mass stand cold for ½ hours prior til boiling them.
In my opinion the curry sauce could use some more curry. And addition of some chopped lemon grass could also be interesting to try another time.
Meat balls in curry sauce: - 4 servings
- 500 g mince meat of veal and pork
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 dl sparkling water
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon medium curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon curry
- 30 g fresh ginger - grated
- 2 carrots - thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery - thinly sliced
- ½ onion - thinly sliced
- 1 apple - diced, either with or without peel, do as you like !
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 dl of the cooking water from the meat balls
- 1 dl dairy whipping cream, 35-40% fat
- 3 dl milk
- Stir the minced meat with all the other ingredients.
- Let the meat mass stand cold in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Fill a cooking water with water, and bring it to the boil.
- Shape small balls from the meat mass, which is add to the boiling water in smaller amount. Do not overfill the cooking pot. When the meat balls are swimming in the top of the boiling water, they are done and can be removed. Leaving space for new meat balls. Save the cooking water to later use in the curry sauce.
- Heat up the oil in a big cooking pot and fry onion, curry and ginger in the oil.
- Add in the sliced vegetable and apple dices, and let it fry as well.
- Add in the flour. Pour in the cooking water from the meat ball little by little, stir well as it is done to avoid the lumping of the flour.
- Pour in the milk and cream as well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook up the curry to the boiling point. Add in the meat balls and warm then up, before serving.
- Serve the meat balls and curry sauce together with rice.