Having discovered the great taste of home-made "hveder", where is no turning back for commercial baked "hveder". The combination of freshly grounded cardamon covering your kitchen in wonderful flavour and eating freshly baked/roasted buns is a combination made in heaven !!!
I have been using this recipe on hveder for Store Bededag from last as starting point with a few modification. As today has been a busy day for me at work I decided to cold raise the dough making the dough this morning before going to work, therefore I reduce the amount of yeast. I also decided to add in some sour dough, as I have sour dough standing ready for use in my refrigerator. And finally I decided to replace the whole grain wheat flour with purple wheat flour.
These wheat buns are also being forwarded for the monthly blogging event Tea Time Treats having the theme of local regional recipes. Tea Time Treast is managed by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Jane from The Hedge Combers.
"Hveder" with purple wheat and sour dough": - 25 buns
- 100 g butter - melted
- 250 g water
- 250 milk
- 8-10 g yeast
- 50 g sour dough - optional
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 300 g purple wheat flour
- 700 g wheat flour
- Add melted butter, milk, water, sour dough and yeast in the bowl on the mixer. Mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Afterwards add in eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla sugar and cardamon. mix slowly (speed 1) for ½ minute.
- Pour in the flour, continue to knead the dough on speed 1 for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in bowl with a closing lid, let the dough raise for 8-10 hours.
- Divide the dough in equal sizes of 80-90 g. Place the bun pieces in a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place the baking tray with dough in the oven without heat together with another tray filled with boiling water. Let the buns raise and "grow" together in the steam for 30 minutes.
- Take water and bun dough out of the oven.
- Heat up the (conventional) oven to 200'C.
- Bake the buns in the baking tray at 200'C for 30 minutes placed in the middle part of the oven.
- Cold down the buns
- Cut the wheat bun into 2 pieces - lets those roast at 200'C for 6-8 minutes
- Served hot or cold together with butter - plenty of butter, cheese and some fantastic home-made jam.