At Midnight New Year´s Eve it is tradition to enjoy marzipan cakes (kransekage) together with champagne/sparkling wine, when the bell will ring it´s 12 strokes. It is best to drink a sweet type of champagne/sparkling wine, so the champagne does not clashes with the sweet marzipan cake.
For this year I have created these marzipan cake with orange twist using inspiration from these marzipan breads with orange & Gran Marnier. As suggestion for home-made marzipan cakes, this could also be options.
The advantage of baking your own marzipan cakes is, that you decided on both the sweetness level as well as the taste of these cakes, if you want to twist the taste.
Another advantage by baking your marzipan cake is, that you can use leftovers of marzipan after all the Christmas activities of home-made marzipan based Christmas sweets.
Marzipan cake with orange twist: - 12 pieces
- 250 g marzipan
- 120 g icing sugar
- 1 organic orange - only the peel
- 1 tablespoon Gran Marnier
- 1 egg - only the egg white - 25 g egg white
- Dark chocolate coating
- Heat the oven to 210'C (conventional oven).
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Knead all the ingredients together into a homogeneous mass.
- Divide the marzipan cake mass into 12 pieces of equal size, which is rolled by hand into thinner rolls.
- Squeeze the top of the marzipan cakes in triangle shape.
- Bake the marzipan cake mass at 210'C for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool down the marzipan cake.
- Melt the dark chocolate coating. Coat the bottom of the marzipan cakes with dark chocolate.
- Let the dark chocolate coating dry. Store the marzipan cakes in airtight containers.
- Enjoy !!!!