|Pearl otto in Italian colours and taste|
I have found the originale recipe on the pearl otto in seasonal free food magazine called "Sæson for god smag", issue 3/2013. However, as I only had half of the need amount of tomatoes and had a surplus of brown mushrooms and red pepper fruit, I made several modification. Also the amount of vegetable stock was reduced, as the pearl barley could not adsorb more vegetable stock.
Pearl otto with tomatoes, pepper fruit and mushrooms: - 4 servings
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 5 brown mushroom - sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 300 g pearl barley or risotto rice, if you can not find pearl barley
- 2 dl white wine
- 8 dl vegetable stock
- 250 g tomatoes - diced
- 100 g red (or green or yellow) pepper fruit - diced
- salt & pepper
- basil leaves
- 30 g pine nuts - toasted on dry pan
- Parmesan cheese - grated
- Heat up the oilve oil in a big cooking pot.
- When hot add in the onion, garlic and mushroom and let them fry.
- Afterwards add in the pearl barley and fry them as well for 2-3 minutes until they have a golden colour.
- Pour in the white wine and let it e absorb by the pearl barley.
- Gradually pour in the vegetable stock and let it be absorb by the peral barley. This takes approx. 20-25 minutes, where you have to stir on a regular basic.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and pepper fruit and let the pearl otto simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Served the pearl otto topped of with Parmesan cheese, basil leaves and roasted pine nuts.
- Served together with a glass of white wine.