A warm bagel with melting butter is one of my favourite on the bread side. So fare I have been buying frozen bagels, which I have heated in my oven, not very ambitious having a desire about baking my way through the entire bread book called "Hjemmebagt". So when I saw this recipe on bagels med rosiner og kanel a la Maden i mit liv, I decided it was time to cook and bake my very own bagels.
One important tip, which I want to share with you, is, that the baking paper should be greased with oil, before the bagel dough is placed on the baking paper prior to the raising process. If you do this, you will be able to take the bagel off without destroying the shape after the raising process. The very first time, I did not do this, as this tip was mentioned in the original recipe, and I needed up with flat and strange looking bagels !!!
Bagels with cinnamon and raisins a la Maden i mit liv: - 12 bagels
- 250 g lukewarm water
- 25 g yeast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 25 g syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 handfuls of raisins
- 450 gr wheat flour
- Stir the yeast into the lukewarm water.
- Add oil, salt, syrup, cinnamon and raisins into the water.
- Add the flour and mix the dough for 10 minutes on an electrical mixer.
- knead the dough smooth and shiny.
- Let the dough raise for about 15 minutes in the mixing bowl.
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper, which is greased with a thin layer of oil.
- Divide the dough into 80 g.
- Insert a finger down the centre of each dough ball and make a hole. Hold your finger down on the kitchen table and move it so round, so the bun revolves around.
- Place the bagel on the baking paper and let the bagels raise for another 30 minutes.
- Heat up the oven to 200'C.
- Heat up a large cooking pot with water to the boiling point
- Cook the bagel dough for approx 1 minute on each side. It is possible to cook 2-3 bagels at a time, if you use a large cooking pot.
- Place the cooked bagels on the baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake the cooked bagels for 20-25 minutes at 200'C in the upper part of the oven, until the bagels are golden.
- Cool the bagels on a oven rack.