I have found this recipe on Christmas pickled nuts in the weekly magazine Søndag (issue 51/2013). The only change, which I have found is, that I have replace the hazelnuts with almonds, as certain people have allergy towards hazelnuts.
Christmas pickled nuts: - 3 glasses
- 1 organic orange - juice and zest
- 100 g walnut kernels
- 50 almonds
- 3 dl water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon fluid honey
- 1 cinnamon
- Start by preparing the storage glasses with boiling water
- Boil the nuts in the water for 2 minutes.
- Drain the nuts in a sieve. Shake the nuts well to get ride of excess water.
- Pour orange juice, zest, cinnamon, white wine vinegar and honey in a small cooking pot.
- Add the nuts into the liquid. Bring everything to the boiling, and let the nuts simmer under lid for 5 minutes.
- Fill the nuts and liquid into the storage glasses, which is closed with lids.
- Store these pickled nuts cold.