I have twisting this recipe on Tove´s oat squares into Christmas style by adding cinnamon into the oat mix, replacing the light coloured sugar syrup with dark brown coloured syrup and finally using nougat for glazing the top of the cake. And it turned very well out :-)
Cinnamon oat squares with nougat:
- 100 g butter
- 180 g oat flakes
- 1 tablespoon (cake) wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 100 g sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoon dark brown coloured syrup
- 100 g nougat
- Heat the (conventional) oven to 200'C
- Melt the butter.
- Mix oat flakes, wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla sugar and dark brown syrup together in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the melted butter and stir everything together.
- Cover a baking tray of 20 x 30 cm with baking paper and spread the mass into the tray.
- Bake the cake at 200'C for 10 minutes in the lower part of the oven.
- Spread thin slices of nougat on top of the warm cake, so it can be spread into a thin layer.
- When the nougat is firmer again, but the cake into smaller sqaures, approx 24.