Today it is Lucia Day, which is celebrate both in Denmark and Sweden with a blond girl in front walking around with burning candles on their head followed by the rest of the singers in burning candles in the hand.
The Danish Lucia song by Alex Garff:
Nu bæres lyset frem - Now worn light up
stolt på din krone. - proud of your crown.
Rundt om i hus og hjem - Around the house and home
sangen skal tone. - the song should sound.
Nu på Lucia-dag - Now on Lucia Day
hilser vort vennelag - welcome to our friends
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia. - Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia
Her ved vor ønskefest - Here at our desire celebration
sangen skal klinge. - the song to fade.
Gaver til hver en gæst - Gifts for every guest
glad vil du bringe. - glad you bring.
Skænk os af lykkens væld - Grant us the happiness wealth
lige til livets kvæld - right to life eve
Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia. - Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia.
Typical Lucia buns contains plenty of butter, so here
Saffron pot buns: - 6 buns
- 5 g fresh yeast
- 250 g whole fat milk
- 150 g dairy whipping cream, 35-40% fat
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- ½ g saffron
- 435 g wheat flour
- Stir yeast, milk and cream together in a big mixing bowl. Add salt, sugar and saffron into the liquid and stir well.
- Afterwards add in the wheat flour and stir very well with a cooking spoon.
- Rise the dough to rise at room temperature overnight - minimum 12 hours or to 24 hours.
- Take the dough out off the mixing bowl, move 1/3 of the dough in over the rest of the dough, keep repeating this process until you have a small size of the dough.
- Clean the mixing bowl for any dough leftovers.
- Glaze the dough bowl with oil.
- Place the dough again in a clean dough, let is rise again for 2 hours.
- Heat up the small cooking pots (2-3 dl) incl. lid on a rack in the lower part of the oven at 250°C (fan oven) for ½ hour.
- Remove the small cooking pots from the oven, remove the lid.
- Place the dough in the hot cooking pots, put the lid back on. Place the cooking pots in the lower part of the oven, let it bake at 250°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the small cooking pots, and let the buns bake at 225°C for another 10 minutes.
- Let the buns cold down on in small cooking pots for 30 minutes. before it is taken out.