The epitome of Danish Christmas comfort food is gløgg & æbleskiver = mulled red wine and apple slices, which you will be served almost everywhere you are invited during December in Denmark. I would estimate, that 99 times out of 100 the apple slices are ready-to-use in form of frozen pre-made apple slices from a factory. And you can hear various people discussing, which pre-made apple slices are the best among all the many pre-made frozen apple slices.
However, the best apple slices are the apple slices, which you made and bake yourselves. But is a time consuming task, and the baking process requires plenty of BUTTER !!!!! for the æbleskive pande (=apple slices frying pan).
I have found this recipe on apple slices with apple compote & marzipan in the weekly magazine called "Alt for damerne", issue 44/2012. I did not make any modification to this recipe.
Apple compote with marzipan:
- 3 apples - peel, diced and cut into small pieces
- ½ dl water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 75 g marzipan - grated
- Cook the apple pieces with water and sugar in a cooking pot into apple mash.
- Mash the apple, when they are soft.
- Mix the apple mash with marzipan.
- Store for later use
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 300 g (cake) flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 organic lemon - only the zest
- 3 eggs - divided into egg yolk and egg white
- 200 g buttermilk
- 200 g whole fat milk - 3.5% fat
- butter for frying
- Remove the vanilla corns from the vanilla pod. Robe the vanilla corns together with the sugar. Put into a mixing bowl.
- Add flour, salt, cardamon, baking soda and lemon zest into the mixing bowl.
- Whip the egg yolk, buttermilk and whole fat milk together, add into the mixing bowl.
- Let the dough rest for ½ hour.
- Whip the egg white stiff. Gently mix the dough and egg white together.
- Heat up the apple slices pan, fill a small lump of butter into each hole.
- When the butter is frying, fill each hole ½ up with dough. When the dough is hardening, fill a small amount of apple compote in the middle, turn the apple slice up side down.
- Move the apple slices around from time to time, until they are round and golden.
- Served them warm together with icing sugar and your favourite jam.