A good colleague of mine from Australia arrived some time ago for a meeting for at work with a "goodie bag" for me with various Women´s Weekly recipe books on baking and Christmas treats and a box of tea in order to fulfil my request for recipes for this year´s Christmas Calendar. Among all these lovely recipes I found this one on roasted cinnamon almonds.
This recipe is more time consuming compared to my "usual" "burnt" cinnamon almonds, which also can be twisted into this combination of burnt roasted almonds.
In my opinion you could consider to increase the amount of cinnamon from ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, if you want a bigger taste of Christmas in your almonds.
Sugar and spice almonds a la Women´s Weekly:
- 60 g icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 200 g almonds
- Preheat the (conventional) oven to 180'C.
- Mix icing sugar and cinnamon together. Sift this sugar mix together twice.
- Rinse the almonds in cold water, shake them well.
- Cover a baking dish with baking paper. Place the wet almonds in the dish. Add the icing sugar over the almonds, mix the almonds and sugar very well together.
- Roast the almonds in the oven at 180'C for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through the roasting time.
- Cool down the almonds, separate them from each other and place them in an airtight container.