Here in January it is time to make some warming soup to keep the cold weather at bay. Therefore I made this tomato soup with bacon and chickpeas, which my mother also a portion of after our Sunday meal.
I have located this recipe in the weekly magazine "Søndag", making a few adjustment to the content of my kitchen.
Tomato soup with bacon and chickpeas: - 4 servings
- 215 g bacon - slices
- olive oil
- 2 onions - medium chopped
- 4 stems of celery - medium chopped
- 4 carrots - medium chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 140 g tomato concentrate
- 800 - 1000 g canned tomato
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 cans (400 g each) of chickpeas
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- parsley - optional
- Start by frying the bacon slices on a dry frying pan until they are crispy.
- Place the fried bacon slices on kitchen towel. Before serving chop the slices into smaller pieces.
- Heat up the olive oil in a big cooking pot.
- Saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrot for 4 minutes.
- Add in the tomato concentrate and let it fry for ½ minute, before adding in the canned tomato and vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to the boil, and let the soup simmer under the lid for 20 minutes, while you stir from time to time.
- Empty the chickpeas from the cans and wash under running tap water. Add the chickpeas into the soup and let them warn up in the soup for 2 minutes.
- Serve the soup warm with crisp bacon, parsley (optional) and slices of bread with marple syrup