Today it is Maundy Thursday (Skærtorsdag), which is a public holiday here in Denmark and starting off the Danish Easter vacation with 5 days off from work. It could be, that you are off from work, but this Easter you are not off from home due to the corona situation. So we are staying at home and staying away from each other to keep people around safe.
So, to keep me busy I have as usual created this little Easter Calendar 2020, where I every Easter day will be sharing a new recipe having a relation to Easter of some kind (according to my definition).
I have found this recipe on a carrot cake in Easter version at Dansukker
. I decided to "only" to bake the cake and not to make the frosting to have a less calorie/energy dense cake. Instead of making a frosting from cream cheese, I will dust the cake upon serving.
I wonder why, this carrot cake is called a Easter carrot cake by Dansukker ? Perhaps it is due to high amount of eggs used (5 eggs), and back in time Easter was also the time of the year, where the hens would start to lay eggs again after a Winter without any eggs.
Easter carrot cake: - 12 pieces
- 300 g carrots - peeled and roughlt grated
- 3½ dl icing sugar
- 5 eggs - divided into egg white and egg yolk
- 230 g (cake) wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon with top baking powder
- 100 g hazelnuts - grounded into flour
- 100 g almonds - roughly chopped
- 125 g butter - soft
- 1 dl orange jam
- Divide the eggs into egg white and egg yolks.
- Add the egg white and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whip in a firmer foam. It actually takes some time to whip into a firmer foam, so be patient.
- Add in wheat flour, baking powder, vanilla sugar, grounded hazelnuts and rougly chopped almonds. Stir it gentle with the whipped egg white foam.
- Add in the egg yolks, orange jam and soft butter, and stir into a homogeneous mass.
- Finally add in the grated carrots.
- Heat up the oven to 175'C.
- Fill the cake dough into a round shape form, 24 cm in diameter.
- Bake the cake at 175'C in the lower part of the oven for 45-60 minutes.
- Check that the cake is baked, before removing it from the oven.
- Cool down the cake, before serving it.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar on the cake prior to serving.