After having made this vegetable bolognese a la Søndag I decided to twist this dish by adding in some more tomato concentrate to have more flavour of tomato. I also added in some red pepper fruit together with the carrots, as I was having some left over pepper fruit in my kitchen.
The use of red lentils in this dish is really a large advantages, as it gives texture, which looks a bite like beef.
I served this dish together with freshly baked foccacia bread with olives a la Tupperware
Vegetable bolognese a la Søndag: - 4 servings
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 tin (400 g) of canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots - peeled and medium grated
- 1-2 red pepper fruits - medium chopped
- 6 dl water
- 70 g red lentils
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 400 g spaghetti
- grated parmesan cheese
- Fry the onion and garlic in hot olive oil, so the onion becomes clear in colour.
- Add in the tomato concentrate and let it fry for ½ minute.
- Add in the canned tomatoes with the dried herbs.
- Add in the water, grated carrot, chopped pepper fruit, lentil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Let the bolognese simmer under lid for 1 hour.
- Serve the bolognese with boiled spaghetti, grated parmesan, rucola and foccacia.