Yesterday day evening was the the evening before Store Bededag (Great Payer Day) (a Danish religious holiday celebrated on the 4th Friday after Easter). And it is the peak evening for enjoying roasted "hveder" - wheat buns with cardamon.
This year I have baked these "hveder" a la "Søndag" using a recipe from the weekly magazine 19/2020. The only modification, which I have done is to use a combination of whole grain flour and wheat flour instead of only wheat flour.
It is also the first time, that I have seen a recipe with a combination of cardamon and cinnamon. The taste of cinnamon is not dominating, but just there as a under laying taste note. Normally only cinnamon is used in "hveder".
I have used my "normal" raising process for "hveder", where I do the second raising process placing the dough pieces in a baking tray with some distance followed by raising when in the oven at 50'C with a tray below below full of boiling water.
"Hveder" (wheat buns) a la "Søndag" - 16-20 buns
- 500 g wheat flour
- 200 g whole grain wheat flour
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 egg
- 350 g milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Weigh all the ingredients directly into the mixing bowl of the stand alone mixer. Keep salt & sugar away from the yeast.
- Place the bowl on the stand-alone mixer.
- Start knead the dough at speed 1 for 8 minutes.
- Afterwards increase the speed to 4, knead for 2 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough. If it is not OK, when knead it at speed 4 for another 2 minutes. Again check the consistency. If needed, knead again for 1 minute and when check consistency of the dough.
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a damp tea towel.
- Let the entire dough raise for approx 60-90 minutes under a damp cloth.
- When you evaluate, that the dough has raise enough, divide the dough into smaller pieces with a weight of 80 g each.
- Shape the dough pieces into bun shapes. Place the bun pieces relative close in pans covered with baking parchment.
- Place the pans with bun dough in the oven (fan oven at 50'C) together with 1 liter boiling water in a jug.
- Let the bun raise for second time for approx 40 minutes inside the oven.
- Heat up the oven to 120'C.
- Bake the bun at 200'C for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the buns warm with butter or perhaps marple syrup butter. Or slice them into 2 and roast the buns in the fan oven at 200C until light brown in the colour, and when serve with butter.