Next time I think, that I will increase the use of tomato concentrates to boost the tomato flavour. As options vegetable inclusion I would also consider to include some pepper fruit on the top of the carrot (vegetable bolognese with extra tomato).
The red lentils is actually giving a nice texture, a little like beef texture.
I served this dish together with freshly baked foccacia bread with tomato and rosemary..
Vegetable bolognese a la Søndag: - 4 servings
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 tin (400 g) of canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots - peeled and medium grated
- 6 dl water
- 70 g red lentils
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 400 g spaghetti
- grated parmesan cheese
- Fry the onion and garlic in hot olive oil, so the onion becomes clear in colour.
- Add in the tomato concentrate and let it fry for ½ minute.
- Add in the canned tomatoes with the dried herbs.
- Add in the water, grated carrot, lentil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Let the bolognese simmer under lid for 1 hour.
- Serve the bolognese with boiled spaghetti, grated parmesan, rucola and foccacia.