These pickled nuts are great served together with cheese. The Christmas part of these pickled nuts is the use of cinnamon and orange.
I have found the original recipe in the weekly magazin Sndag (issue 51/2013). However, I have made various modifications, so using the ingredients available in my kitchen instead of buying the actual ingredients mentioned in the recipe.
Christmas pickled nuts: - 3 smaller glasses
- 1 organic orange - zest and juice
- 100 g walnuts
- 50 g almonds
- 3 dl water
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Start by boiling the nuts in the water for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water from the nuts.
- Add orange juice, orange zest, apple vinegar, honey and cinnamon into a cooking pot, and bring them to the boil.
- Add in the boiled nuts. Let the nuts simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the storage glasses by adding boiling water to them first.
- Divide the nuts between the glasses and divide as well the liquid between the storage glasses.
- Store the pickled nuts in the refrigerator.
- Serve together with cheese.